Paterson Barracks

Paterson Barracks

One of the oldest surviving buildings in Launceston, Paterson
Barracks was built in 1828, and was described at the time as the
very best brick building in Van Diemen’s Land.

As a commissariat store, it was designed to house food and supplies for the military
and government officials in the young settlement, as well as for
the free settlers and convicts.

The building was used by the Tasmanian volunteer forces, and
the Launceston Volunteer Artillery Corps which used the building
from 1860.

Today it is home to Launceston’s cadet units and
the 16th Field Battery of the Royal Australian Artillery, the oldest
artillery unit in the Australian Army, and the longest continually
serving unit in Australia.


From Launceston a sense of place , Philip & Vicki Kuruvita available here


Gallery Pejean now represents us!
Launceston, a Sense of Place launched at Town Hall

Related Posts



No comments made yet. Be the first to submit a comment
Already Registered? Login Here
Sunday, 29 November 2020

Captcha Image